Monday, September 30, 2013

Metsäkylä Primary School



Last week, it was exam week at my school, but since I don’t speak Finnish yet, I didn’t have to take the tests. Instead, my English teacher organized a visit for me in Metsäkylä Koulu, the local Primary School.

So I arrived there in the morning not knowing what to expect, I went to the headmaster’s office. He explained to me how the system works and gave me a tour of the school. I was brought to the craftwork class, where I observed little boys making shelves… That was quite interesting!

Later, I joined a German class, where I showed some pictures of Belgium and Belgian food. The students were very interested and asked me some questions which I gladly answered by showing some more pictures, thank you Google by the way. This was followed by a delicious coffee in the teacher’s lounge…

I also joined an English class, where I spoke again about Belgium; I found out that talking about Belgian food really makes you feel hungry! The students seemed very interested, not only about Belgium but also about me… At the end of the hour, the teacher asked me to participate in an activity called “The Food Store”. I played a shopkeeper, and the students had to come buy some food, in the end they each got one candy, except for me, I received two candies!

At the end of the day, I joined a history class, where I was introduced to some sporty, energetic 12-year-olds … I showed for the third time some pictures of Belgium… And the students started to make jokes about Belgium but I didn’t understand them because the students spoke Finnish...

Visiting Metsäkylä Primary School and meeting these kids was a day I will never forget, and I thank my English teacher for suggesting it, and I also thank the staff and teachers for welcoming me!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment