Monday, August 15, 2016

Stopover in Milan

Hello everyone!

It has now been almost two weeks since my mother and I have returned from Madagascar yet this is the first moment I am calm enough to write about it. Getting to Madagascar was quite a long trip since it took us about 28hours. On the way there, we flew from Brussels to Frankfurt, then to Milan and then finally we arrived in Nosy Be (an island to the North of Madagascar's mainland).

In Milan, we had about a whole afternoon before we had to catch our next plane so mom and I decided to visit the city, as we had go via the centre anyway to change airports. This was my first time in Milan so I was quite giddy as you can imagine.

Upon arriving at Milan's Central Station, I was, once again, shown that Italy is just on another level compared to the rest of the world when it comes to architecture and doves - who could teach a thing or two about elegance to Belgian doves. My mom had already been to Milan before which was a big advantage because she knew how we could get to the places we wanted to see without wasting our precious short time.

Our ultimate goal was to see the famous Duomo (cathedral). Mom figured walking would be the best way to get there. This turned out to be quite a good idea! On our way, we passed the Scala (opera) of Milan. I took a selfie with Leonardo (Da Vinci, who else did you think I was talking about?) on the Scala's square.



Afterwards, we proceeded towards the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele, one of the most impressive pieces of architecture in the world. I also found it interesting to observe the people walking around there. The place gathered tourists from all over the world, obviously, but also native Italians from different backgrounds. It's also a great place for photographers to amuse themselves.





And finally, we made it, to the cherry on top of the cake, the Duomo. And oh my, it was magnificent! Such elegance! Such beauty! Such prestige! My jaw dropped to the floor! It was definitely worth carrying around my heavy backpack for 45 minutes in the Italian heat!




After all this walking, mom and I, naturally, felt hungry so we went to eat a salad in a lovely little restaurant on the Via Dante (surprisingly, I remember the name of the street but not the name of the establishment. Whoops!). To make our tiny city trip to Milan complete, we also ate a gelato (aka ice cream) and had a delicious cappuccino at Bianco Latte (this time I remembered the right detail :p ).

I would like to end this post by giving you one tip. Do not under any circumstance walk around in Milan wearing yoga pants! You will seriously feel out of place! Trust me, I speak from experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment